• act of sending back, act of remitting; act of sending back into custody pending further legal action; state of being remitted, state of being sent back
• send back, remit; hold in custody pending further legal action
• if someone who is accused of a crime is remanded by a judge, they are ordered to come back for their trial at a later date.
• if someone is on remand, they have appeared in court and are waiting for their trial to take place.
• remand is the period of time that someone spends on remand.
remand a suspect
• keep a suspect in jail
• a remand centre is an institution where young people who have been accused of a crime are sent until their trial begins or while a decision about their punishment is being made.
• hearing at the end of a legal proceeding
remand in custody
• extension of imprisonment
remand until the trial ends
• in custody until the end of the trial, in jail until the end of the legal proceedings
• petition a remand, appeal against a return to custody
detention on remand
• prolongation of custody or detention
• continue custody
extension of remand
• lengthening of detention, prolongation of imprisonment