• mentioned earlier in the same text
• overhead, over, in a higher place; more; aforementioned (in a text)
• over; higher than; more than
• something previously mentioned, something previously indicated
• if one thing is above another one, it is directly over it or higher than it.
• you use above in writing to refer to something that has already been mentioned.
• if an amount or measurement is above a particular level, it is greater than that level.
• if someone is above you, they are in a position of authority over you.
• if someone thinks that they are above a particular activity, they do not approve of it and refuse to become involved in it.
• if someone is above criticism or suspicion, they cannot be criticized or suspected because of their good qualities or their position.
• above all: see all.
• beyond everything else, more than everything else
above and beyond
• more than enough
• higher than the norm
• out in the open, revealed, not hidden
• (nautical) cabins that are above water lever on a cruise ship
• if an arrangement or deal is above board, it is completely honest.
• above the surface of the ground; openly, frankly; living, alive
above ground level
• agl, altitude above the surface of the earth, height above the ground
• previously mentioned, aforementioned
• aforesaid, mentioned previously in the same text
• above average, beyond what is expected ...