• state of not being employed; rate of unemployment (in a region, population, etc.)
• you say that there is unemployment in a place when many people there cannot get jobs.
• unemployment benefit is money that some people receive from the state when they are unemployed.
• money given to people without jobs
• estimate of unemployment, percentages of unemployment, percent of unemployed persons from within the general population
• resulting in joblessness, leading to a lack of work
• (economics) unemployment that is directly connected with a nation's economy and output level (unemployment grows in times of slow economic growth and falls in times of rapid growth)
decrease in unemployment
• reduction in the rate of people not employed in work, increase in amount of people working
• (economics) temporary unemployment resulting from regular turnover of labor (people moving homes, changing careers, etc.)
• level of unemployment not reflected in official figures due to those who are employed on a part-time basis or employed at positions beneath their abilities
• high rate of unemployment, condition in which there are many people who are not working
increase in unemployment
• rise in the rate of people unable to find work
low unemployment ...