• saint stephen (died c. ad 36), first christian martyr; sir leslie stephen (1832-1904), english writer and editor; male first name
• stephen bantu biko (1946-1977), black south african anti-apartheid activist who was arrested many times and died in police custody after severe beatings, founder of the black consciousness movement
• (1871-1900) american novelist and poet, author of "the red badge of courage"
• (born 1942) leading british physicist (renowned for his ideas on quantum physics, black holes and the "big bang" theory)
• (born 1945) american singer keyboardist and guitarist, member of the folk-rock band "crosby stills and nash"