• one who runs; candidate, competitor (in a race or election); messenger; smuggler; climbing plant; device on which a mechanism glides or moves; long narrow carpet; player on base (baseball)
• a runner is a person who runs, especially for sport or pleasure.
• a drugs runner or gun runner is someone who illegally takes drugs or guns into a country.
• runners are thin strips of wood or metal underneath something which help it to move smoothly.
• runner beans are the long green pods of a climbing plant which are eaten as a vegetable.
• candidate, contestant; one who finishes second in a competition
• a runner-up is a person or team that finishes in second place in a race or competition. in some competitions, many people can be runners-up.
• 1982 science fiction film starring harrison ford (directed by ridley scott)
• candidate with the greatest chance of success
• in a competition or contest, the front-runner is the person who seems most likely to win it.
• a gun-runner is someone who takes or sends guns into a country secretly and illegally, especially so that the guns can be used by people who are opposed to the government.
• (baseball) player sent into a game as a substitute base runner
• person who runs backwards for exercise
• climbing bean plant having scarlet flowers and long flat green pods that have edible red seeds