• international organization established in 1949 for cooperative defense against aggression
• nato was founded in 1949 as an organization for collective defence. an attack on one member country would be regarded as an attack on all. the headquarters are in brussels. the members of nato are: belgium, canada, denmark, france, germany, greece, iceland, italy, luxembourg, netherlands, norway, portugal, spain, turkey, united kingdom, and united states.
• military forces comprised of soldiers contributed from nato member states
nato member states
• states that took part in the nato agreement, nations in the western block
• pledge made by nato states to settle disputes among themselves peacefully and defend one another against outside aggressors