• one who inspects; one whose job it is to supervise and examine; police officer ranking below a superintendent
• an inspector is someone's whose job is to inspect things.
• an inspector is also an officer in the police force who is above a sergeant in rank.
• officer with investigative duties in a civil or military organization
inspector general of the police
• police commander, person responsible for police activities, chief of police
inspector of taxes
• person appointed to examine taxes
• an inspector of taxes is a person who is employed by the government to calculate the amount of tax that people should pay.
• expert whose function it is to examine the condition of explosives or ammunition
• police officer in charge of investigations
• person appointed by the government environmental department to inspect cleanliness