• the age of reason, 18th-century philosophical movement that emphasized the use of scientific inquiry and reason (most commonly associated with locke, descartes, newton, and rousseau)
• state of being enlightened, state of intellectual or spiritual awareness
• enlightenment is the act of enlightening or the state of being enlightened.
• haskalah, jewish philosophical movement of the 18th and 19th centuries which promoted the teaching of secular knowledge within the jewish community
• movement in the 17th and 18th centuries that emphasized man's ability to reason