• group of people united in a common cause; people of a country; democratic state
• a commonwealth is a nation, a state, or a federation regarded as a unit composed of people who have similar political interests for many purposes; an old-fashioned use.
• the commonwealth is a voluntary association of independent sovereign states, including the united kingdom and most of its former dependencies. queen elizabeth ii is head of the commonwealth. it represents about one quarter of the world's population. the headquarters are in london. members of the commonwealth are: antigua and barbuda, australia, bahamas, bangladesh, barbados, belize, botswana, brunei, canada, cyprus, dominica, gambia, ghana, grenada, guyana, india, jamaica, kiribati, lesotho, malawi, malaysia, maldives, malta, mauritius, namibia, nauru, new zealand, nigeria, pakistan, papua new guinea, st christopher and nevis, st lucia, st vincent and the grenadines, seychelles, sierra leone, singapore, solomon islands, sri lanka, swaziland, tanzania, tonga, trinidad and tobago, tuvalu, uganda, united kingdom, vanuatu, western samoa, zambia, and zimbabwe.
• military forces of nations belonging to the british commonwealth
commonwealth of dominica
• dominica, island in the west indies (between the caribbean sea and the north atlantic ocean); independent republic on this island
commonwealth of independent states• confederation of countries which were members of the former soviet union, cis
• the commonwealth of independent states was founded in 1991 at the dissolution of the union of soviet socialist republics. its headquarters are in minsk. former soviet republics which founded the commonwealth of independent ...