• pail, container for holding liquid; basket (basketball slang); scoop of a steam shovel; amount of material that can fill one bucket
• ride a horse quickly; drive roughly; rain profusely
• a bucket is a round metal or plastic container with a handle. buckets are often used for holding and carrying water.
• you can use bucket to refer to a bucket and its contents, or to the contents only.
• low individual seat having molded back (as in planes or cars)
• a bucket seat is a seat for one person in a car or aeroplane which has rounded sides that partly enclose and support the body.
• cheap saloon in the past that sold liquor in buckets; unstable and unethical brokerage firm; (bitish slang) travel agency that sells cheap air tickets; broker who practices bucketing
• in britain, a bucket shop is a travel agency that sells airline tickets cheaply in order to fill seats which would otherwise be empty.
drop in the bucket
• small insignificant amount, something that is extremely small
• an ice-bucket is a container which holds ice cubes or cold water and ice. you can use it to provide ice cubes to put in drinks, or to put bottles of wine in and keep the wine cool.
kick the bucket
• die, pass away (informal)
throw the rope in after the bucket
• the situation was lost, there was no way to solve the problem