• collapse, downfall; spoilage, rotting; specification, itemization
• the breakdown of a system, plan, or discussion is its failure or ending.
• if you suffer a breakdown, you become so depressed that you cannot cope with life.
• if a car or other vehicle has a breakdown, it stops working while it is travelling somewhere.
• a breakdown of something is a list of its separate parts.
breakdown in communications
• disintegration in correspondence, failure to communicate
• psychological collapse, shutdown of mental processes due to excess strain
• emotional crisis
• a nervous breakdown is an illness in which someone suffers from deep depression and needs psychiatric treatment.